Well howdy there, y’all! As a born and bred southerner, I know a thing or two about good ol’ fashioned southern cooking. And let me tell you, this chicken casserole recipe is one for the books! It’s the perfect combination of creamy, savory and hearty that will make your taste buds dance with joy.
Now, I understand that many folks have different opinions on what makes a “true” southern dish. But trust me when I say that this chicken casserole recipe has all the key ingredients and flavors that define our beloved Southern cuisine. And it just so happens to be one of my absolute favorites.
So if you’re ready to dive into some rich, creamy goodness with a little crunch from the Ritz cracker topping, then buckle up and get ready for some mouth-watering goodness!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Listen up, y’all! I’m fixin’ to tell you why you’re gonna love this southern chicken casserole recipe. First off, it’s a classic Southern dish that’s full of flavor and comfort. If you don’t love yourself some chicken casserole, then I don’t know what’s wrong with ya!
This recipe is perfect for when you need to feed a crowd, or just want some leftovers to enjoy throughout the week. It’s creamy, savory, and oh so satisfying. You’ll fall in love with the buttery Ritz cracker topping that makes this dish extra special.
Plus, this recipe is super easy to make. You can whip it up in no time using simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand. You won’t have to spend all day in the kitchen for this one! And let me tell you something, if you’re a fan of garlic powder, sage, and onion finely chopped, then buckle up! Because this recipe is packed full of those flavorful ingredients.
If you’re in need of a little southern comfort food, then this chicken casserole is just what the doctor ordered. Trust me on this one, y’all. You’re gonna love it! So gather up your ingredients and get ready to enjoy a taste of the South that’ll make your tastebuds dance with joy!
To make this yummly southern chicken casserole recipe, you will need to gather the following ingredients:
- 3 cups of cooked shredded chicken
- 3 cups of cooked rice (uncooked rice can be substituted for instant rice by increasing the amount of liquid)
- 1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of sage
For the topping:
– 2 cups of crushed Ritz crackers (about one sleeve or package)
– 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, melted
Optional add-ins like broccoli, corn or beans could be included with these main ingredients, but are not required.
Double-check and make sure you have all these casserole ingredients on hand before starting.
The Recipe How-To
Now, it’s time to get cooking and bring this Southern Chicken Casserole recipe to life! Follow these simple steps for a hearty and delicious dish that is sure to impress.
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken breasts
- 2 cups instant rice, uncooked
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (10.75 ounce) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked shredded chicken, instant rice, chicken broth, condensed cream of chicken soup, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, melted butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased casserole dish (9×13 inches) and spread out evenly.
- Top with the crushed Ritz crackers.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the crackers on top have turned golden brown and the casserole is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
This chicken casserole recipe is perfect for nights when you want something satisfying yet easy to make. With simple ingredients that you probably have in your pantry already, this recipe comes together quickly and easily. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
Well, well, well. Looks like you want to switch things up a bit with this Southern Chicken Casserole recipe. I can’t say I blame you – sometimes we need to shake things up in the kitchen! Here are a few substitutions and variations that will give your taste buds something new to chew on:
– Swap out the chicken breasts for cooked shredded chicken: If you’ve already got some cooked chicken on hand, this is a no-brainer. No need to cook the chicken from scratch.
– Try using different types of rice: While white rice is the traditional choice for this casserole, you could also try using brown rice, wild rice or even quinoa.
– Add some veggies: If you’re feeling like your casserole needs a little more greenery, try mixing in some broccoli or green beans.
– Make it spicy: If you’re a fan of heat, try adding some diced jalapeños or crushed red pepper flakes.
– Use different kinds of condensed soup: You could sub in cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup for the cream of chicken soup.
– Mix up the toppings: Instead of using Ritz crackers as a topping, try using crushed cornflakes or Panko breadcrumbs for a different crunch.
Remember, cooking is all about experimentation and finding what works best for your taste buds. Don’t be afraid to get creative and make this Southern Chicken Casserole recipe your own!
Serving and Pairing
Once this southern chicken casserole is baked to perfection, it’s time to plate up and enjoy! This flavorful dish can stand alone as a main course, but it pairs well with a variety of sides.
For a classic Southern meal, serve the chicken casserole with a side of cornbread or biscuits. The buttery, flaky texture of the bread perfectly complements the creamy, savory flavor of the casserole. You can also pair it with a fresh, crisp green salad or roasted vegetables to add some bright colors and nutrients to your meal.
If you’re in a rush and looking for a quick meal option, you can simply serve the casserole with some steamed rice or roasted potatoes. If you are feeling more adventurous, you can try pairing it with wild rice or quinoa for an extra healthy and hearty meal.
To make this dish extra indulgent, add a dollop of sour cream or crème fraiche on top. The tangy flavor will perfectly complement the rich and creamy flavor profile of the chicken casserole.
This traditional Southern dish is perfect for family dinners, potlucks or holiday gatherings. Its versatility allows you to tailor it to fit any occasion and any taste bud. So, no matter what you choose to pair with this southern chicken casserole, one thing is for sure – everyone will be asking for seconds!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
“If I know I’m going to have a busy day, I like to prepare as much as I can ahead of time. That’s why I always appreciate a recipe that can be made in advance. And let me tell you, this Southern Chicken Casserole is definitely one of those recipes. It’s perfect for meal prep, potlucks or any occasion where you want to feed a crowd without spending too much time in the kitchen.
You can make this casserole ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. When you’re ready to eat, simply reheat it in the oven until it’s heated through, about 20-25 minutes at 350°F. You can also reheat individual portions in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
If you want to freeze this casserole, you can do so before or after baking it. To freeze before baking, assemble the casserole and cover tightly with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Label with date and contents, and freeze for up to three months. When ready to bake, remove from freezer and let thaw overnight in the fridge. Then, bake according to recipe instructions.
To freeze after baking, let the casserole cool completely before freezing in an airtight container or heavy-duty freezer bag. When ready to eat, defrost overnight in the fridge and then reheat in the oven until warmed through.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you’re reheating this casserole from frozen or chilled, it may be a bit dry. But don’t fret! Just mix together 1/2 cup of sour cream with a tablespoon of milk and dollop it over the top before reheating. This will add moisture and creaminess back into your dish.
Now you know how easy it is to make-ahead and store this Southern Chicken Casserole. Trust me, it will save you a lot of time and hassle, and the flavors will only get better. Stay ahead of the game and enjoy this comforting meal anytime you desire.”
Tips for Perfect Results
Let me tell you, folks, the key to a perfect southern chicken casserole is in the details. So, listen up and take notes, as I am about to share with you some of my top tips for achieving the most delicious and hearty casserole.
First of all, when cooking the chicken, make sure to season it generously with salt and pepper before baking or grilling it. This will add depth and richness to the flavor of the casserole.
Now, when assembling the casserole, layering is crucial. Always spread each layer evenly and gently pack it down to avoid any air pockets. And don’t forget the toppings! Whether using Ritz crackers or bread crumbs, make sure to crush them well to achieve an even texture on top.
When it comes to baking time, patience is key. Don’t rush it! The casserole should be heated through entirely and receive a beautiful golden-brown hue on top before taking it out of the oven.
Last but not least, let your chicken casserole rest for about 10 minutes or so before serving. This will allow the flavors to settle in and attain a cohesive taste that will leave everybody begging for seconds.
So there you have it, folks – some expert tips for crafting a perfect southern chicken casserole that will knock your socks off!
Now that you know how to make the ultimate Southern Chicken Casserole, it’s time to take action and try it at home. This dish is perfect for those cozy nights, when you crave for a warm and hearty meal that will make your taste buds dance with joy. You can customize this recipe to suit your preferences, and I guarantee you that it will deliver every time.
So get in the kitchen, gather all the ingredients, chop some sage leaves, melt some butter, and start cooking. Make sure to follow the recipe closely and don’t be afraid to experiment with different spice blends or topping options. And if you’re feeling adventurous, try making this Southern Chicken Casserole in a slow cooker – it will be even more tender and juicy!
In conclusion, this recipe is the best Southern Chicken Casserole out there. It’s creamy, savory, and filling, making it the perfect comfort food for any occasion. Don’t settle for mediocre casseroles – make this one instead and become the star of your dinner table. Trust me; your friends and family will thank you for it!
Southern Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of potato soup
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 cups cooked egg noodles
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- sage, to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- seasoned dry bread crumb
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all ingredients, except last two.
- Place into a 13x9 inch dish.
- Melt butter; stir in breadcrumbs until mixture becomes dry. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.