Crispy Southern Fried Chicken Fingers Recipe
Get ready y’all, because I’m about to share my recipe for the best Southern Fried Chicken Fingers with Green Peppercorn Mayonnaise recipe you’ve ever tasted. As a chef specializing in Southern-style cuisine, I’ve perfected this recipe through numerous trials and tastings. And let me tell you, it’s a crowd-pleaser that never fails to impress.
Growing up in Georgia and learning from my old ole home kitchen, I developed a love for all things deep-fried with that signature crispy texture. And what’s better than classic Southern fried chicken fingers? Well, just the added flavor of green peppercorn mayo to elevate these fingers’ taste to a whole new level!
The combination of perfectly seasoned boneless chicken breast fillets, dipped and breaded in flour, eggs, milk, and spices gives these chicken strips an undeniable crunch! Top them off with a dipping sauce like Green Peppercorn Mayonnaise, and you’ll be licking your fingers for days.
So come along with me and follow my detailed instructions on how to create this mouth-watering dish – perfect for any casual events or everyday meals. Trust me; this recipe will become one of your new favorites!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Picture this: juicy, crispy, and tender chicken fingers that are bursting with flavors of paprika, rosemary, dried thyme, and garlic powder. Now, imagine dipping those perfectly fried chicken fingers into a creamy and tangy green peppercorn mayonnaise. Sounds amazing, right?
Well, that’s what you’ll get when you try this recipe for Southern Fried Chicken Fingers with Green Peppercorn Mayonnaise!
I know you’re thinking that fried food is unhealthy and should be avoided. But friends, let me tell you, there is no harm in indulging in some good ole’ deep-fried chicken every once in a while. And with this recipe, you get to make fresh and healthy chicken fingers at home instead of relying on fast food or restaurants that douse their chicken with unhealthy oils.
Plus, the green peppercorn mayonnaise takes these chicken fingers to the next level! The combination of French mustard, capers, green onions, chives, and sour cream creates a zesty and refreshing dipping sauce that pairs perfectly with the crispy chicken fingers.
So why will you love this recipe? Well, not only will you get to satisfy your craving for fried chicken but you’ll also impress your family and guests with a restaurant-quality meal made right in your own kitchen. Trust me; they’ll be raving about it for days! So go ahead and give this recipe a try; I promise you won’t regret it.
For this Southern Fried Chicken Fingers with Green Peppercorn Mayonnaise Recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
– 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into thin strips, about 1-2 inches thick
– 1 cup of plain flour
– 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
– 2 teaspoons of salt
– 2 teaspoons of paprika
– 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
– 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
– 3 large eggs
– 3 tablespoons of milk
– Oil, for deep frying
Green Peppercorn Mayonnaise
– 1 cup of mayonnaise
– 1/4 cup of sour cream
– 1 tablespoon of French mustard
– 1 tablespoon of capers, drained and chopped
– 2 tablespoons of finely sliced chives
– 2 tablespoons of finely chopped spring onions
– 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
– 1 tablespoon of ground green peppercorn (or more to taste)
Optional Substitutions and Variations
– For a spicier chicken, substitute paprika for cayenne pepper or chili flakes.
– For a lighter version, try grilled chicken breast instead of fried.
– If green peppercorns are not available, black peppercorns can be used instead.
Make sure you have all these ingredients on hand before you start cooking. Let’s get started with the recipe!
The Recipe How-To
Now it’s time to get into the cooking portion of this recipe. I can’t wait to share with you exactly how I make these satisfying and crunchy Fried Chicken Fingers that are perfect for a family dinner, as an appetizer, or even for game day!
Here are the ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- 4 chicken breast fillets, cut into strips of your preferred size
- 1 cup Flour
- One tsp Garlic Powder
- One tsp Paprika
- One tsp Dried Thyme
- Two tsp Salt
- One tsp Black Pepper
- Two Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- Oil for frying
Follow these instructions to prepare the chicken for cooking:
Firstly, we will make the egg wash, which will help the coating stick to the chicken. To do this, whisk two eggs in a clean bowl and add 1/4 cup milk. Mix well.
In another bowl, mix flour and spices (garlic powder, paprika, dried thyme, salt, and black pepper) together.
Take each strip of chicken and coat it in flour, then dip it in egg wash before covering it in flour/spice mixture again. Press it down to ensure a good coating each time.
Once all pieces are coated set them on a plate.
Let the chicken tenders sit covered in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before deep-frying.
Deep-Frying The Chicken:
Okay! Here comes the best part! Follow these steps to get perfectly fried chicken fingers:
In a deep pot or dutch oven with high sides, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot (around 350 degrees Fahrenheit).
Fry chicken tenders in small batches for about six minutes while gently stirring occasionally with a slotted spoon so they cook evenly until they’re golden brown.
Get a paper towel-lined plate or tray and place your freshly fried chicken tenders on top of it to absorb any residual oil.
Sprinkle chicken tenders with salt as soon as they come out of the oil to season them to taste
Repeat this process until all the chicken strips are cooked.
Your crispy Fried Chicken Fingers are now ready to be served with some Tangy Green Peppercorn Mayonnaise which adds an extra layer of flavor that complements the fried chicken perfectly! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Substitutions and Variations
Southern fried chicken fingers with green peppercorn mayonnaise is a classic dish that can be customized to suit your taste. Here are some ideas for substitutions and variations that you can try:
– Dipping Sauce: The green peppercorn mayonnaise recipe is a crowd-pleaser, but you can also try other sauces like honey mustard sauce, gravy, or hot sauce.
– Oven Baked Chicken: For a healthier version of this dish, you can bake the chicken fingers in the oven instead of deep-frying them. To do this, preheat the oven to 400°F and place the breaded chicken fingers on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
– Buttermilk Chicken: If you want extra tender and juicy chicken, you can marinate the chicken breast fillets in buttermilk for at least an hour before breading and frying them.
– Chicken Tenderloins: If you can’t find chicken breast fillets, or want smaller portions, use chicken tenderloins instead. They cook faster and are perfect for appetizers or snack-sized chicken fingers.
– Crispy Chicken: To make the chicken fingers extra crispy, add cornstarch or panko breadcrumbs to the coating mixture in addition to the plain flour.
– Breaded Chicken: If you prefer breaded chicken over battered chicken, use breadcrumbs instead of flour in the coating mixture. You can also add other seasonings like grated parmesan cheese or Italian herbs to the breadcrumbs for extra flavor.
– Cheese-Stuffed Chicken: For an indulgent twist on this southern classic, stuff each chicken finger with a slice of cheddar cheese before breading and frying it.
Remember to experiment with different flavors and ingredients until you find your favorite version of this beloved recipe.
Serving and Pairing
Now that your crispy green peppercorn southern fried chicken fingers are ready, it’s time to think about how to serve and pair them. Firstly, I recommend serving them with the delicious green peppercorn mayonnaise recipe which can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
As for pairings, these chicken fingers are great served with any salad featuring fresh vegetables such as mixed greens, cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, and carrots. For a more filling meal, consider pairing them with creamy macaroni and cheese or cheesy buttery grits.
If you’re feeling adventurous or looking for something to quench your thirst after the spicy kick from the peppercorns, consider serving this dish with a refreshing cucumber and mint smoothie or sweet tea.
For a heartier option, serve these southern fried chicken fingers over mashed potatoes or rice pilaf. Another crowd-pleaser is pairing them with crispy fries and coleslaw.
If you’re serving a larger crowd or want to turn this into a party platter, try making a fun dipping station featuring various sauces like honey mustard sauce, sriracha mayo, ranch dressing or even hot sauce. This will allow guests to personalize their dishes and make each serving unique.
No matter how you choose to serve and pair these green peppercorn southern fried chicken fingers, they are sure to be a hit on any table. So go ahead and indulge in the delicious flavors of southern cooking!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As with any recipe, prepping ahead of time can save you a lot of hassle when it comes to mealtime. For these Southern fried chicken fingers with green peppercorn mayonnaise, you can make things even easier by preparing the chicken ahead of time and storing it until you’re ready to fry.
To make-ahead, after soaking the chicken in the mixture of buttermilk and spices for at least 2 hours, bread them as directed in the recipe. Instead of frying them right away, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 24 hours ahead.
When it’s time to cook, heat the oil as directed in the recipe and fry the chicken as usual. You’ll have crispy and delicious chicken, without any of the prep work taking valuable time out of your busy day.
But what about leftovers? If you find yourself with extra fried chicken fingers or green peppercorn mayonnaise dipping sauce, never fear! These dishes can be stored and reheated beautifully.
To store leftover fried chicken fingers, let them cool to room temperature and transfer them to a container with a tight-fitting lid. Keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. To reheat refrigerated chicken fingers (or thawed frozen ones), preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and bake for 10-12 minutes or until heated through.
As for the green peppercorn mayonnaise dipping sauce, transfer any leftover sauce to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Use it as a spread on sandwiches or wraps or as a dip for vegetables or other finger foods.
No matter how many people you’re cooking for or how much you have left over, this Southern fried chicken fingers with green peppercorn mayonnaise recipe is the gift that keeps on giving. So go ahead and make a big batch — you’ll be glad you did!
Tips for Perfect Results
As a chef specializing in southern-style cuisine, I know that the perfect fried chicken always starts with the right technique. Here are some tips to make sure you get a perfectly fried chicken every time:
1. Soak the chicken: Soaking the chicken in a mixture of buttermilk, salt, and hot sauce for at least an hour or overnight helps make it tender and juicy. This is essential to get that succulent, melt-in-your-mouth texture that everyone craves.
2. Let your oil heat up: Make sure your oil is preheated to 350°F for perfect golden brown crusts without overcooking the chicken. If the oil temperature is too low, the batter will absorb more of it and turn out greasy and soggy.
3. Keep the oil at a constant temperature: Maintaining the correct frying temperature is crucial to ensure evenly cooked chicken. After adding chicken pieces to the hot oil, keep an eye on it and adjust the heat as needed throughout cooking.
4. Don’t overcrowd your fryer: Overcrowding your fryer by adding too much meat can lower the frying temperature too much and cause uneven cooking. Keep enough space between each piece to ensure proper frying and browning.
5. Drain the fried chicken on paper towels: Placing fried chicken on a paper towel-lined plate once they are crisp avoids them getting greasy from excess oils. Patting down any additional oil with paper towels also enhances the overall texture and crispness.
6. Season right after frying: Immediately seasoning your newly-cooked crispy pieces with some rosemary, dried thyme or even black pepper enhances flavors and aroma profiles.
By following these tips, you can create a perfect batch of southern-style fried chicken at home every time!
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a delicious and crispy fried chicken recipe with a unique twist, then this southern fried chicken fingers with green peppercorn mayonnaise recipe is the perfect choice for you. With its combination of rich flavors and textures, it’s sure to satisfy your cravings and impress your guests.
This recipe is also incredibly versatile, with a range of potential substitutions and variations that can accommodate different dietary restrictions or personal preferences. Whether you’re looking for a healthier option with oven-baked chicken or a vegetarian-friendly version using tofu or tempeh, there are many ways to adapt this recipe to suit your needs.
Furthermore, by pairing this dish with some grilled vegetables, creamy mashed potatoes, or even some cheddar cheese grits, you can take your Southern meal to the next level. And don’t forget about the accompanying green peppercorn mayonnaise – it’s the perfect dipping sauce for these crispy chicken fingers.
So why not try this recipe out for yourself? Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or just looking for a comforting meal at home, this southern fried chicken fingers with green peppercorn mayonnaise recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Trust me; this recipe will become one of your go-to meals in no time!
Southern Fried Chicken Fingers With Green Peppercorn Mayonnaise Recipe
- 4 (200 g) chicken breast fillets (boneless and skinless)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (1 tablespoon, ground, if available)
- 2 teaspoons rosemary (I used fresh)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (salt was specified)
- peanut oil (or canola for deep frying)
Green Peppercorn Mayonnaise (makes 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I used a whole egg mayo)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 spring onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon chives (I used garlic chives snipped)
- 2 teaspoons capers (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon French mustard (I used Dijon)
- For the chicken cut chicken fillets into long strips and soak in milk for 1 hour.
- While the chicken is soaking make the green peppercorn mayonnaise by combining all ingredients together and refrigerate until required.
- Drain the chicken, reserving the milk.
- Whisk reserved milk, eggs and lemon juice together.
- Combine the flour, spices and salts.
- Dip chicken pieces in seasoned flour, dip in egg mixture and re-coat with flour.
- Heat oil in a wok, large saucepan or deep fryer and fry chicken till golden brown (this will need to be done in 2 to 4 batches depending on the size of your wok etc.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- To achieve an extra crispy crust, quickly deep fry again before serving, if desired.
- Serve with green peppercorn mayonnaise.