Folks, if there’s one thing that sets my heart aflutter and my stomach growling like a hound dog on the hunt, it’s a Southern Spaghetti Pie. This ain’t your average spaghetti and meat sauce, oh no. It’s baked to golden perfection with layers of ooey-gooey cheese that’ll make you wanna slap your mama! This dish is so beloved in the South that it’d be considered blasphemous not to have it at every potluck, church supper, or family gathering.
Let me tell ya, this ain’t your ordinary pie either. Sure, we got pie crusts filled with all sorts of fruits and cream fillings but those just ain’t got nothing on our Southern Spaghetti Pie. Every bite is a delightful mix of spaghetti, ground beef, homemade meat sauce, onions, green peppers all topped with mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
Y’all will be hooked at the first bite! So if you’re looking for an easy yet hearty meal that’ll make everyone in the house happy as a clam then look no further than my Southern Spaghetti Pie recipe – you won’t regret it.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Folks, let me tell you, this Southern Spaghetti Pie recipe is a winner. If you’re tired of the same boring spaghetti recipe you’ve been serving your family for years, this will be a welcomed break from the routine.
First off, it’s easy to make. Throw all the ingredients together and voila! You have got yourself a delicious baked spaghetti pie that everyone in your family will love.
But what truly sets this recipe apart is the blend of flavors – savory tomato sauce, ground beef, and flavorful spices like garlic and onion. And let’s not forget about the cheese! This recipe has an abundance of deliciousness – cheddar cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, and creamy ricotta cheese.
This twist on traditional spaghetti is also versatile; the recipe can be made with substitutions or variations that suit your preferences. Whether it’s using turkey instead of beef, adding mushrooms to the mix or removing green pepper from the recipe entirely.
And last but certainly not least – leftovers. This dish can be easily refrigerated for a couple of days so that you can enjoy it again in no time! Trust me folks; this spaghetti pie is sure to become a family favorite in no time.
Here’s a list of everything you need to make this Southern Spaghetti Pie recipe:
- 8 oz spaghetti, cooked
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Optional: add your favorite ingredients to make it your own. This Southern-style spaghetti pie is versatile and perfect for using up leftovers.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients, it’s time to roll up our sleeves and make some Southern Spaghetti Pie. This recipe is the perfect combination of creamy cheese and hearty meat sauce wrapped in a crispy pie crust. Here are the steps to make this delicious dish.
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Set your oven to 350°F. We want to make sure our oven is ready to cook our spaghetti pie to perfection.
Step 2: Cook spaghetti
Boil a small pot of water with a pinch of salt. Once the water boils, add 8 oz of spaghetti noodles and cook them for about 10-12 minutes until they are al dente (cooked, but still firm). Remember to stir occasionally so the noodles don’t stick together.
Step 3: Make meat sauce
Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium-high heat with 1 lb of ground beef. Cook 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped green pepper, and 1 minced garlic clove until they are soft and fragrant, which should take about 5 minutes. Then, add 1 jar of spaghetti sauce(24 oz), 1 can of tomato sauce(8 oz), and 1 tsp of dried oregano. Bring the mixture to boil on medium heat then let simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 4: Mix it all
In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup each of shredded cheddar cheese (divided), ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, and cream cheese. Mix until combined.
In another mixing bowl, mix together cooked spaghetti noodles with meat sauce.
Step 5: Assemble the pie
Take out your 9-inch pie casserole coated with oil spray or butter then put half of your spaghetti layer inside the dish evenly on the bottom (the other half will come later). Pour half of your cheese mixture on top of the spaghetti layer. Add another layer of spaghetti on top of the cheese mixture, then pour the remaining cheese mixture over it. Finally, sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over the top.
Step 6: Bake and enjoy
Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is golden brown. Once done, let it cool for a few minutes before slicing.
There you have it! Delicious Southern Spaghetti Pie ready to serve!
Substitutions and Variations
Now, let’s talk about the beauty of versatility in the kitchen. That’s right, my friends, you can take this spaghetti pie recipe and make it your own. Here are some substitutions and variations I highly recommend trying out:
– Instead of ground beef, use ground turkey or chicken for a healthier twist. You could also leave out the meat altogether for a vegetarian option.
– Swap out the cheddar cheese for any other type of cheese you prefer. Swiss, provolone or jack cheese would all work beautifully in this recipe.
– If you don’t have green pepper on hand, try using red bell pepper, or even jalapeños if you like it spicy.
– Want to really amp up the flavor? Add some Italian sausage to your meat sauce for an extra punch of spice and depth.
– Don’t have spaghetti noodles in your pantry? Use whatever type of pasta you like! Penne, fusilli, or even lasagna noodles would all be delicious in a spaghetti pie casserole.
– For a more decadent version, add some cream cheese or ricotta cheese to the cheese mixture for added richness.
– Top the pie with some crispy bacon bits for a smoky twist.
Remember, cooking is all about experimenting and having fun with flavors. So go ahead and make this recipe your own by trying out these substitutions and variations – your taste buds will thank you!
Serving and Pairing
Well, now that your Southern Spaghetti Pie recipe is ready and rehearsed to perfection, it’s time for the true test of any cooking endeavor: serving and pairing. This cheesy, satisfying pie is ideal for a family dinner or a casual gathering with friends.
For a cozy comfort meal, serve this spaghetti pie with garlic bread on the side, and nestled beside a colorful garden salad composed of crisp greens, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, and diced bell peppers. Don’t forget some red vino on the side – I suggest a bottle of Chianti from Tuscany to bring out the rich flavors of the meat sauce.
If you are interested in exploring new pairing options, consider pairing this southern baked spaghetti pie with cornbread or buttermilk biscuits – both would offer that soft crumbly texture that goes so well with creamy pasta dishes. For a hearty meal option, serve alongside an authentic Southern Chicken Spaghetti Casserole or Lasagna recipe. Trust me when I say that the leftovers can be just as delicious as the original meal and make for perfect next-day meals.
This spaghetti pie recipe has become a staple in my kitchen during family gatherings and potlucks. The perfect combination of easy prep work and delicious flavors allows me to enjoy time with my loved ones while not sweating over a hot stove. So go ahead and try it out – you won’t regret it!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now, when it comes to making the Southern Spaghetti Pie, here’s a little secret: this dish is perfect for making ahead of time. Trust me, it will make your life so much easier if you do.
Once you’ve baked your spaghetti pie, just let it cool off completely before slicing it into portions. Then, you can transfer each slice into an airtight container or wrap it in foil before storing it in the fridge. This way, your delicious meal is ready to go whenever you are.
If you need to reheat your Southern Spaghetti Pie – no problem! Just pop it onto the oven or microwave until it warms up again. If using an oven, cover the dish with foil and reheat at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until warm throughout.
But, be careful not to overheat it or you’ll risk drying out the spaghetti noodles!
And if you’ve got leftovers – which I doubt you will because this dish is that good – just store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. You can also freeze them for up to two months!
But let’s be honest, once you take one bite of this Southern Spaghetti Pie, there won’t be any leftovers to store – this family favorite is too good not to devour.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now, I want to share with you some tips and tricks that will take your Southern Spaghetti Pie Recipe to the next level. Here are some of my personal recommendations:
1. Cook the spaghetti al dente: With baked spaghetti dishes, it’s important not to overcook the noodles since they will continue cooking in the oven. So, make sure to follow the instructions on the box and cook spaghetti just until it’s al dente.
2. Drain spaghetti thoroughly: After cooking the spaghetti, drain it well before adding any sauce or ingredients. Excess water will make your spaghetti pie watery, which no one wants.
3. Use high-quality meat: When making your homemade meat sauce, choose high-quality ground beef that is lean and has a good amount of fat content. It will enhance the flavor of your dish, making it taste richer and more satisfying.
4. Add a variety of cheeses: A combination of different cheeses is the key to making your spaghetti pie taste like heaven. Try a mixture of shredded cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, and parmesan cheese for an unforgettable cheesy blend.
5. Let it rest: Once you take the pie out of the oven after baking, let it rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting into it. This allows all those delicious flavors and juices inside to settle down and distribute evenly.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll end up with a Southern Spaghetti Pie Recipe that is simply irresistible!
In conclusion, the Southern Spaghetti Pie Recipe is a must-try for anyone who enjoys comfort food with a twist. With its layers of noodles, meat sauce, and flavorful cheeses all baked to perfection in a pie casserole, it’s no wonder why this dish has become a favorite among many families. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also versatile, as you can substitute or add any ingredients that suit your taste buds.
So if you’re looking to switch up your usual pasta night routine or want to impress your guests with something unique yet familiar, give this recipe a try. Once you taste the delicious combination of spaghetti and cheese baked together in perfect harmony, you won’t be able to resist making this dish again and again. It’s safe to say that this Southern Spaghetti Pie Recipe is sure to become a new family favorite.
Southern Spaghetti Pie Recipe
- 1 lb ground round
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) soup can water
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrot
- 1 (8 ounce) box spaghetti, cooked and drained
- Brown beef, onion, green pepper and garlic in a large, non-stick skillet until meat is no longer pink; drain off any excess grease. Add soups and water, stirring to mix thoroughly with med heat. Add peas and carrots, stir in half the cheese and all of the spaghetti. Pour into greased 9X13 inch glass baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.